Becoming a Swim Ireland Official
Level One Course: Introduction to Officiating – Timekeeper
The purpose of the Level 1 course is as an introduction to officiating and an understanding of the Swim Ireland Officials structure. It provides for an understanding of the Roles and Responsibilities of the Timekeeper, the associated operating procedures and covers FINA Rule SW 2.9, along with other duties for working at swimming competitions.
Qualifies you to fulfill the role of Timekeeper at all levels up to and including National Championships
Level Two Course: Judge
The purpose of the Level 2 course is to understand the Roles and Responsibilities of a Judge. It covers the FINA Rules SW 2.6 and 2.7 relating to the Inspector of Turns and Judges of Stroke respectively. Each of the strokes – Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle & Medley Swimming are covered in detail, along with the reporting of stroke violations to the Referee.
Qualifies you to fulfill the role of Turn Judge and Stroke Judge at all levels up to and including National Championships
Level Three Course: Referee (through an Officials School)
Qualifies you to fulfill the role of Referee at all levels up to and including National Championships
To Host an Official Course
Courses registration form to be received into the Education Office AT LEAST 30 days prior to course start date.
- Room required with chairs to facilitate 22 people including tutors with at least one table.
- Sockets for electrical appliances, a projector and a screen.
- For Level 2 courses only – one hour pool time is also required (1-2 lanes) and 4-8 swimmers.
- Please be aware that any associated costs for this are born by the host club/region.
Course Candidate Numbers:
Minimum number of 10 candidates in order for course to proceed with a maximum number of 20 per course.
Steps to organise course:
- Club/region contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a course registration form, have a proposed date and backup date.
- Education team will contact Tutors for availability on requested date/dates.
- Registration form completed and sent back to the Education Team (email@example.com).
- Once course and tutor is confirmed the tutor will make contact with the club/region organising the course.
- Course paperwork will be provided to Swim Ireland officials tutor.
- Final course details with list of candidates sent to the Education Team at least 10 days prior to course start date.
- The invoice for course payment will be sent to the club/region prior to date of completion.
- Payment for course invoice must be received by Education team for all candidates no later than 30 days after course date.
Level 1 (Timekeeper)
€100 for up to 10 candidates – €5 per head for each additional candidate
Level 2 (Judge)
€250 for up to 10 candidates – €12.50 per head for each additional candidate
Level 1 & 2 combined course
€300 for up to 10 candidates – €15 per head for each additional candidate