- Do I have to be a member of a Club to compete at Regional and National competitions?
Yes. All swimmers who wish to compete at any Regional or National competition must be affiliated with a Swim Ireland Club. Overseas swimmers must be affiliated with their National Federation who in turn must be affiliated with FINA (the World Governing Body for the Aquatics).
2. Will there be a Swim Ireland Handbook available this year?
All the relevant information, including information regarding national and international competitions and calendar of events is available to download free of charge on the Swim Ireland website.
3. At what age may I join a Performance Centre?
There is no minimum age requirement to join, however, swimmers must reach the minimum standards of performance and commitment required by the Performance Centre.
4. How do I qualify for the National Squad?
A swimmer must achieve the appropriate qualifying standard, details of which are available on the Swim Ireland website.
5. If my children join a Club will I end up doing 5am mornings?
No. Only swimmers who compete at a high competitive level may have early mornings included in their training schedule.
6. Where do I get a list of nearby Clubs?
Please click here to access the Swim Ireland Club Finder where you will find a complete list of Swim Ireland Clubs.
7. My son wants to swim competitively but there is no Club in the town. How can I go about setting up a new Club in my area, as I would be interested in getting involved?
Please contact a Swim Ireland Development Officer who will be delighted to help you with the process of setting up a new Club. Click here for contact information.
8. How do I know what Club I should join? Is there a list of competitive Clubs versus recreational Clubs available?
The majority of Clubs will have both a recreational and competitive aspect to them. Please click here to access the Swim Ireland ClubFinder, where you will find a complete list of Swim Ireland Clubs.
9. How do I become a member of Swim Ireland?
Please click here to access the Swim Ireland Club Finder where you will find a complete list of Swim Ireland Clubs. Once you find a Club in your area you can contact the Club Secretary. It is not possible to join Swim Ireland direct.
10. If my child is interested in competition, what age is the best to start competing?
As long as the swimmer is competent in the water and can swim all strokes legally then he/she may compete but it is important that he/she begin competition at the appropriate level.