March 12, 2020

Statement from Swim Ireland regarding Coronavirus (Covid -19) and the impact on Swim Ireland activities.

Update 2  - 12th March 2020

Over the past number of days, we have been planning our position in relation to the Coronavirus and this planning has now escalated in light of recent communication.

As the health and welfare of our members is of paramount importance, Swim Ireland is informing all clubs that they will need to cancel with immediate effect and until further notice all galas, competitions, meetings and any social or fundraising activities.

At present the advice doesn’t impact on training, however we would advise all clubs to carefully consider if this is necessary and in line with trying to reduce social interaction. We would urge all clubs to engage with your facility and to understand their position regarding continued operations and opening hours. Members should follow the advice that has been provided by the appropriate agencies regarding the best way to minimise the risks to infection as well as what you should do if you feel unwell and are developing symptoms. This can be found in greater detail within the links below.

Health and Safety Authority

Irelands Health Service Executive

Government of Ireland

We would advise all clubs to cancel or postpone all planned international trips that are due to take place in March and April and we will circulate more information as this becomes available. If clubs have queries or concerns in  this regard in particular travel insurance, please contact Swim Ireland at

Swim Ireland will continue to operate, with staff available as normal through phone and email, however all external travel and visits will be cancelled, such as meetings, club visits and club workshops. See here for Swim Ireland contacts.

In relation to education training and courses,  Swim Ireland will postpone all face to face courses in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, as of today and up until the 29th March 2020. All learners booked onto courses will automatically be transferred to another suitable course of their choice that has availability.  Additional face to face courses will be scheduled as information is made available and operators and facilities provide updates on access to pools and schools.   Swim Ireland will continue to review the situation, in line with the advices received. Anyone with queries regarding upcoming courses should contact Swim Ireland at

The Irish Open is planned to take place from the 1st - 5th April, and we are currently considering all options for this event. A detailed update will be provided to all clubs on Monday 16th March, once we have had an opportunity to speak with all key stakeholders and plan accordingly.

We continue to monitor the situation very carefully and will issue further advice to our clubs and members as this become available. Please continue to monitor the Swim Ireland website for further updates.

For more information please see Swim Ireland’s update 1