March 13, 2020

Club Activities (Competition and Training) and International Travel Update

Updated - 13th March 2020

The following update provides Swim Ireland clubs further advice in relation to training and international travel considering recent communication from The Irish Government regarding Covid-19.

Competitions and club activities

As the health and welfare of our members is of paramount importance, Swim Ireland is informing all clubs that they will need to cancel with immediate effect and until further notice all galas, competitions, meetings and any social or fundraising activities.

Club Training

Swim Irelands advice regarding training is to cancel all sessions until further notice, however if clubs decide to continue it would be important to limit access to small numbers, such as only the senior/A-squad. We would urge all clubs to consider if training is absolutely necessary and follow advice in relation to limiting social interaction.

If clubs do take the decision to continue with training, Swim Ireland would strongly advise the following:

  • To reduce individual contact it would be important for clubs to review the need for certain squads to be training and cancel unnecessary sessions
  • Provide access to training for only the top squads (I.e. A/Senior Squad)
  • Cancel Strength and Conditioning sessions
  • Work closely with your facility to agree access and to understand their position regarding continued operations and opening hours.
  • As a committee make an informed decision engaging with all stakeholders in the club
  • Allow members to make decisions in relation to attending training
  • Continue to monitor advice and recommendations from Swim Ireland, Department of Health and HSE.
  • Vigilance must be followed in relation to changerooms and areas away from the pool environment, please follow HSE recommendations in this regard   

International Travel

We would advise all clubs to cancel or postpone all planned international trips that are due to take place in March and April and we will circulate more information as this becomes available.

In relation to International Permits we are not able to complete and approve any submitted applications. With the current situation taking place and uncertainty in many of the countries throughout Europe we are unfortunately also going to have to withdraw any previous approved applications where clubs are due to travel in March and April.

If clubs have queries or concerns in  this regard in particular travel insurance, please contact your Club Support Officer who will be able to provide you with assistance.   

We continue to monitor the situation very carefully and will issue further advice to our clubs and members as this become available. Please continue to monitor the Swim Ireland website for further updates and contact Swim Ireland if you have any urgent questions or concerns.   

Irish Open

Earlier today we advised that the Irish Open Swimming Championships – Olympic and Paralympic Trials will be postponed. Full statement is available HERE.

Ireland Active and Swim Ireland

Ireland Active and Swim Ireland are recommending that all swimming lessons are postponed until 29th March in line with school closures. This is to support the efforts of government in reducing the spread of the Covid-19/Coronavirus to the most vulnerable populations. Although swimming pool water is deemed safe to swim in by the HSE, social distancing could pose a challenge.