December 31, 2020
You will all be aware now of the Governments latest announcement in the Republic of Ireland to move to full Level 5 restrictions from the close of business on the 31st December 2020 for a minimum of 1 month.
This is a very significant announcement on many levels and now means that for the next month our sport has, for almost all of us, effectively been stopped.
Whilst it is disappointing news that pools in ROI are closed during this period, we want to assure you that we have been relentless in our efforts to represent our sport, our clubs and the sector since the beginning of this pandemic, and that we were very thankful that pools were allowed to stay open from the 24th December under level 5.
We will continue to make representation on behalf of members and facilities and if there is a loosening of restrictions in the coming weeks, please be assured that we will be pushing for facilities to re-open at the earliest possible time.
The key points from the information received last night:.
Level 5 (Close of business 31st December 2020)
- Swimming Pools are closed
- Swimming/Water Polo/Diving – No indoor or outdoor exercise group activities (including school age children) should take place
- Individual outdoor land-based training may take place (This means no individuals can come together to form gatherings/groups to undertake a session)
- Individual outdoor swimming can still take place, subject to social distance requirements; however extreme care should be taken as outlined in our Open Water Guide HERE.
- Training may continue for Performance athletes which has been defined in association with Sport Ireland
- Travel – Stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, or to take exercise within 5km of home
We reiterate that we know this is a difficult time for the aquatic community and we will work to support and guide you through it. We will provide details of further supports next week
Despite all the challenges, we as a community have managed to get through a full lockdown before and we will do so again. We urge you to try and keep positive and know that we will come out of this, our sport will continue and there are brighter days ahead.
As always, please do not hesitate to get in touch if you need support of guidance.