March 18, 2020
Staying fit and healthy should be your biggest focus during Covid-19, so our Associate Head of Performance Services, Paul Talty, and National Performance Pathway Manager, Andrew Reid have assembled this guide.
Exercise & Fitness
Stay active to stay well. That means avoiding public facilities, and exercising at home or outdoors – see training options below for details and check out our 21 Day May Challenge
This period away from the pool and full training is an opportunity to focus on areas of weakness like Mobility, Rehab and Exercise for leisure and fun
It is important that you fuel in line with your daily needs.
Reduced physical activity = reduced energy requirements
A typical teenager should follow the ‘Moderate Training’ plate guidelines during periods of reduced training demands
It is also important to maintain the following:
- Eat 3 main meals per day – breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Maintain overall protein intake
- Utilise smaller portion sizes
- Choose lower calorie snack options - e.g fruit, yoghurt, hummus & crackers, popcorn
These can be completed as either long extensive workouts, or fartlek style (long extensive interspersed with short bursts of higher intensity work)
Walking/running or a combination of both
- Build up volume/intensity slowly if you do not run regularly
- Choose an alternative option if previous injury prevents you from running
- If cycling outdoors, ensure you wear appropriate clothing and adhere to the rules of the road
- A turbo trainer would allow you to set up a stationary bike at your house
- Using a combination of running on the spot, skipping, jumping jacks, mountain climbers and burpees you can create an aerobic workout at home
- An example circuit starts with 15s work & 30s rest with 1-minute rest between rounds repeating these 3 to 5 times – progress by increasing the work period
Strength/Muscular Endurance Training
Choose 1-2 exercises from each section, and complete 3-5 rounds, with 1-2 minutes rest between each round: Click each exercise for video guide, or click here for our playlist of ALL exercises.
Please key an eye on all our social channels for more help with dealing with Covid-19. Our team are here to impart as much knowledge as they can to ensure we all stay safe, healthy and well during this time.
And if you need a pep talk to get going, please look back at National Senior Swim Team Head Coach Ben Higson's words of advice. Invaluable.
Learn From Others
We have a number of programmes in place where you can hear what other athletes are doing during this time and get to know them a little more as well as having the opportunity to pick their brains with any questions you might have.
A number of our Performance athletes are available for Online Athlete Clinics where they will take you through their journey in an online forum.