Women in Sport Coaching & Mentoring Programme 2021
The Women in Sport (WIS) Coaching & Mentoring Programme was launched by Swim Ireland in 2018, funded by Sport Ireland. The aim of the programme is to address the lack of female coaching across Irish aquatics. Since its launch, 98 candidates have completed coaching qualifications (level 1 and 2).
For the upcoming year, we have identified several coaching courses across Ireland, where WIS spaces will be available via an application process. Each course involves a blend of online training and classroom / pool elements. Spaces are distributed via an application process, with successful candidates receiving a discounted course fee, along with mentoring opportunities post course.
WIS candidates do not need to book onto a course manually, if you are successful in your application you will be awarded a place and then instructed to pay the discounted fee to gain access to the online theory.
Although the Covid-19 Global Pandemic is affecting practical elements of courses, we are have adjusted courses so that theory elements can be completed online followed by practical elements thereafter.
2021 Coaching Courses
Please note, courses that are marked "fully booked" are still available through the WIS programme.
These dates consist of the VIRTUAL CLASSROOM element of the Coaching courses. Following the completion of an ONLINE module, you will then be eligible to complete the Virtual Classroom sessions followed by the face to face and practical elements of the course when pools are reopened for full operations.
Level 1 Assistant Swimming Coach:
Level 1 courses will include an initial online learning module via STEP, 4 x 2 1/2 hour virtual classroom sessions followed by two days of practical sessions: Part 1 with your Swim Ireland Tutor and Part 2 with your local club.
1. January 9th Virtual Classroom Schedule (post online module) course information here - Applications close December 17th 2020
- Saturday 9th January 10.30-13.00
- Sunday 10th January 10.30-13.00
- Saturday 16th January 10.30-13.00
- Sunday 17th January 10.30-13.00
2. January 18th Virtual Classroom Schedule (post online module) course information here - Applications close January 4th 2021
- Monday 18th January 18:00-20:30
- Wednesday 20th January 18:00-20:30
- Monday 25th January 18:00-20:30
- Wednesday 27th January 18:00-20:30
Level 2 Swimming Coach:
Level 2 courses will include an initial online learning module via STEP, 6x3 hour virtual classroom sessions followed by two days of practical sessions: Part 1 with your Swim Ireland Tutor and Part 2 with your local club.
1. January 16th Virtual Classroom Schedule (post online module) course information here - Applications close January 4th 2021
- Saturday 16th January 10.00-13.00
- Sunday 17th January 10.00-13.00
- Saturday 23rd January 10.00-13.00
- Sunday 24th January 10.00-13.00
- Saturday 30th January 10.00-13.00
- Sunday 31st January 10.00-13.00
Level 1 Assistant Water Polo Coach:
Level 2 Water Polo Coach:
Further WIS spaces on Coaching Courses will be available throughout 2020, stay updated here and through the Swim Ireland Social Media Channels!
Candidate Requirements & Application
- Be a current Swim Ireland Club member
- Have up to date Garda Vetting/Access NI
- Have up to date Level 1 Safeguarding (3 hour course)
- Participate in the mentoring aspect of the programme*
*Communicate with your mentor set up by Swim Ireland and assist Swim Ireland Coaching Clinics after completing classroom units.
More information on the vetting process can be found here.
To apply for a WIS place please complete the application below. Candidates who cannot attend the full course timetable should not apply and will not be accepted.
All applications will be considered, however limited places apply.
For further information, or if you would like to become a mentor relating to the WIS Coaching & Mentoring Programme please contact:
Bethany Carson, WIS Development Officer